Sunday, 5 July 2026

David

 You are hundred

And I have lived five times your age;

I was carved

But you created.

 

They said the marble could not be carved

Yet my master brought me to life;

You chronicled life in the deepest of oceans

And dense jungles never ventured before.

 

The Giant, I am a symbol of liberty

Trapped, an exhibit to flashes and eyes;

You are free, you travel at will

And capture the beauty of the wild.

 

My muscles taut, my stance erect

An epitome of anatomical perfection, they say;

The unfurling wings, the trembling earth beneath lithe paws

Nature through your lens is more balanced, I say.

 

My lips are pursed, sacred silence to Goliath’s screams

Yet they read my thoughts, I know not what or why;

A mother’s fear, a hungry cry, a triumphant roar, a joyful screech

You voice their tales, with humility and grace.

 

My eyes are alert, focused, assessing

Yet I cannot spot assailants with hammers in plain sight;

You offer a view of the best of beasts

A prey in flight, a predator in fight.

 

I felled Goliath

An inspiring tale of victory of the underdog;

You fall and frolic with Gorillas

Save and preserve the underdogs, you said.

 

You are hundred

And I have seen five times your age;

My marble mind bends to none

You mould minds to care a little more.

 

Man created me, a masterpiece

But man destroys;

You, mortal, are the David I wish I could be

For your savages are better than mine.


Michelangelo's David at the Galleria dell'Accademia, Florence
(Image courtesy: By Jörg Bittner Unna jbittner@web.de - Own work, CC BY 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=109721344)


Sir David Attenborough
(Image courtesy: https://www.wwf.org.uk/about/ambassador/sir-david-attenborough)


MS

8 comments:

  1. So nicely written!! Never thought carving can be presented so well with words:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David gets a voice; and he envies the other, centuries-younger David.

    Carved... Created.

    What a metaphor..!!

    Wordplay... Character-play..

    Wah, Mrittika..👌

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderfully written Mritika . The writing has brought the David in marble literally alive .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrittika you have outdone yourself. The Immortal versus the mortal. So very imaginative and emo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful regardsPravin Rai

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well written sir!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outstanding....

    ReplyDelete