Sunday 22 September 2024

Karma Conversation

KC is the highest form of AI where two or more people converse without uttering a single word that we mortals generally use to interact. Magnetic vibes get transmitted which then get converted to the language understood by the giver and the receiver.

I wish to meet Brother Steve.

May I know why? You do not seem like one of his old students who keep visiting him now and then.

The man pulled out a letter and handed it to the manager at the old age home for Christian Brotherhood at Goa. The manager opened the letter and his eyes lit up….

I am sorry Father for I did not recognize you.

The man went down on his knees and bent his head till it touched the floor.

I had never seen the Papal seal before today, I am blessed.  But I must tell you that Brother Steve is completely bed-ridden for almost a year now. He is on round- the- clock life-support systems and he just lies on his bed without speaking a word to anyone. He is fed through the tubes and, possibly, only his heart is pumping. All the other systems have given way, but strangely he has a smile on his face despite all the pain and suffering he is enduring.

It is all God’s will. I would like to be left alone when I meet him today.

Sure, Father. I will take you to his room and then stand guard outside to ensure no one disturbs or intrudes whilst you are inside.

The priest, enters the room and the manager closes the door from behind. It is a dark room with curtains drawn on the windows. A solitary man lies on the cot with machines, big and small, connected to his vital organs. As Father draws closer, he sees the numerous tubes coming out of the patient’s throat, mouth and underbelly. The eyes are shut but as the man had said before, there is a smile on the face. Father steps next to the bed and gently puts his right hand on sleeping Steve’s forehead and softly utters…

Son, I have come for you.

Steve’s eyes open up and he tries to communicate with movements of his eyelids, brows and eyes…

Thank you, Father, for coming but I have been long gone. What have you come to take now?

I agree, Steve, but now I come to take what remains of you.

But I am not ready to go now. I need some more time, Father.

Why would you want to be like this for even one moment longer? I come to relieve you of your pain and misery.

No, Father. I have been in this state for far too long and have accepted this as part of my fate and penance. I still have my old students and well-wishers coming to see me here. I can see love in their eyes even though I stay on the bed, motionless and speechless. I am fine here in this state for, if you really wanted me, you would have come much earlier. Why now?

The time for all is set and cannot be changed. You lived your good days and not so good ones here and then depart for the next life.

No Father, let me be here longer. And if you really want me to come, then you must answer to my one question that have troubled me since the time I came here to live and also grant me one last wish.

Go ahead, Steve. I will try and answer your eternal question as best as I can.

The smile on Steve’s face grew bigger and there was a new-found light in his eyes. And then he started communicating once more…

Tell me, Father, did I lead a good life, life as laid out in scriptures.

Yes, you did and you were fortunate to have been born in a good family and led a life better than many for the first twenty years.

Yes, Father. I was indeed fortunate that my father who was a senior military man and my mother was a teacher in a school. They brought me up well with all love and care. I was never denied what people call a good life. But then, I decided to join the order at an age and time when young men and women of my time lived a life of fun and gaiety.  I lived those years cloistered in a church with no attachment to the world. I voluntarily gave up my good life to follow the path of the Lord and I did it without any dereliction.

Of course, you did it, son.

For the next thirty years or so, I devoted myself to the cause of educating children. I went beyond the call of duty of a school teacher and sat down with children who needed more time and attention. Today so many of my students have done so well in life. I even taught children of the weaker section of society to learn the life crafts and find a way to earn their living. I pulled them out of drugs and abuse and showed them a better path and many of them now lead a healthy life and have families of their own. They, too, come down here to visit me once in a while.

So, what is your question, Steve. All this life story of yours is known to me and it is recorded for posterity. We know how good a person you have been and how you have helped the meek, the sick and the needy and given a new life to a huge mass of children.

Did I cheat on anyone? Did I live a life of luxury? Smoking a couple of packets of cigarettes was the only vice or luxury you may put against my name. Then why me, Father…why did I have to endure this phase of life… what did I do to deserve this?

I do not have an answer to this question of yours. All I can say is that the Good Lord tests us in many ways. Some of it, we understand and the rest we do not. I have personally seen your book of life and can say with complete certainty that there is not one iota of a black spot anywhere. Your life is an example for many generations to come, especially how you guided young minds to develop love for education, the way you ensured your presence on the playgrounds when they took to the fields, you created some of the most memorable musicals with the children…. to each one of them, you are the first and, the last image that they recount when they hear the word teacher, the word life changer and the word guide. Then there are the innumerable young men that you helped fight drug menace and showed them the path to change and vocational employment. I could go on but now the time has come for me to take you to God’s own land, hand you unto his sacred arms and shower you with infinite love.

The smile on Brother Steve’s face grew smaller and with sadness in his eyes, he said…..Forgive me, Father, for having staggered from my belief momentarily. My faith in Him is as firm as ever and what I asked you was something my evil human mind had been seeking answer to, as I lie here alone. I have no sadness or anger in my heart for surely it is His way of testing me and cleansing me.

As I said before, His ways are not always easy to understand and the paths to His bosom are many.

Father, I seek from thee one last wish.

Yes son, tell me about it.

Father, the love that people are showing towards me even now, makes me long to stay here for a little more but I do not seek to be here forever. When I started my life as a teacher, there was this one class of ’80 where it all started and that one phase holds a special place in my heart. They all have loved me the most and they remember me often in their prayers. The pain that I endure is something small as compared to the respect and pure love that I see in their gentle footsteps as they walk into the room, place fresh flowers in the vase and silently stand and keep looking at me. Some have tears in their eyes and go down on their knees. I wonder if I will find this love in the Garden of Eden you plan to take me to….. . Some of them have come already and met me here. A few more are left to come. I am sure they, too, will be here soon. When the last of them have come and left, you can come for me and I shall gladly accompany you.

SS

11 comments:

  1. Very knowledge full

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s true that when someone who loves us is very ill, they may long for our presence. Sometimes, circumstances prevent us from being there, and they leave us suddenly, which can leave us with feelings of guilt and a sense of karmic debt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very knowledgeable

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phases of karma. Sanchit, prarabdha and kriyaman. We all need to embibe the sukarma in our life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very touching …. Lesson learnt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely takeaways, in our life journey we must have done many good things but twice the bad things which we are not aware, everyone in this universe have to wash always their sins in this life, this is what God judges you for the entire life and then punished accordingly. Heart touching story of all human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sir, truly master stroke of wisdom from your spiritual side

    ReplyDelete
  8. That this is 'His way of testing me and cleansing me', is such a beautiful explanation. Ramkrishna Paramhansa too, despite being the spiritual soul that he was, had to suffer throat cancer.

    ReplyDelete