Sunday 26 April 2015

WELCOME CHILD


Bongs love their English and have many a Benglisized words and phrases to their credit. One such word is 'issue'.  While to the rest of the world this simple word would mean either a problem statement or an episode in the publishing world, to the learned Bongs however it could also mean children...for instance if some elderly were to ask you koyta issue tomaar means how many children do you have? 

Long time ago I was asked by the Editor of the quarterly magazine for National Insurance at Calcutta (it hadn't turned Kolkata then) to write for the Spring Issue....funnily  since I was an expectant father,  I wrote a few lines to my child yet to be born in the spring of '91. I then got it typed on the old type writer. As luck would have it, Debi was the Deputy Editor of the magazine and when she saw what I had written, she refused to publish it, not because it was unfit but she felt it was too personal to be shared. She kept the paper neatly folded along with her treasured possessions. It lay there untouched and unseen by anyone till my daughter turned 21. Debi was trying to put together an album with pictures of Mrittika and then I suggested to put this poem as a preface to the photo album...and she agreed. 

Sharing with you today, the lines written nearly a quarter of a century ago to my child to be born. Today I still believe in what I told my child then and happy to see her take on a profession where she will heal the wounded and bring smile to many.

Welcome Child to this earthly abode,
An abode that is wicked, cruel,
Treacherous, wild and polluted.
But still I welcome you, for you are hope
In Tagore’s words, “Every child born, it brings with it hope that God is not yet
Disappointed with man.”

If you ask me who you are,
I won’t be able to say.
Maybe you’ll carry a part of my name,
Rest you’ll come to know day by day.
Your religion- don’t ask me child,
For the only prayer I learnt in school
Said “Our Father in Heaven…”
Beyond that I know not much
Don’t bother too much about it kid.
Just remember to follow a humane path.
Have faith in Him, fear Him, love Him and the saffron, the cross & the crescent
will all follow.

When you’ll be born
You’ll be a tiny mini pigmy.
You’ll wet me and I’ll sing for you,
You’ll cry and I’ll cuddle you.
When you grow a little,
I’ll teach you nursery rhymes,
Rhymes that times would have changed.
I might say Johnny Johnny, Yes Papa
Eating brown sugar, No Papa
Telling lies, No Papa
Open your mouth, Ha..Ha..Ha.
Funny? No child it’s not.
World you grow up in will be different, For sugar won’t be sugar any more.

Then will come your Alma Mater days.
With bags filled with books,
That’ll weigh more than bricks.
I pity you kid.
For you’ll have to bear this burden.
But Baby, learn to run and play.
Be a kid when you’re a kid.
For childhood you must surely live
For beyond this hood
Lies pain, agony & misery.
Enjoy Child.

Then my mind goes towards your future,
What will you be? Que sera sera..is the easiest thing to say.
Do I want you to be a millionaire?
No..No…Never! For becoming one
You’ll eat into others’ pockets & forget humanity & humility.
I will never want you to walk
On a bed of roses, for the first whiff
Of dust will scar your tender skin.
Do I want you to conquer the world-
Another Chenghez, Another Adolf?
No..No..Never!
I’d rather see you play the fiddle
Than see you burn the world to ashes.

So what do I want to you to be?
Not much cause my want may not be what you can and your can must take precedence over my want.
But of course I’ll be happy to see-
You help a blind man cross the street,
Feeding a hungry person,
Clothing one with none;
Will be happy just to see you sweating it out to earn your bread.
 Just be a Good Soul, My Child.

Welcome Child, to this heavenly abode,
And for your stay, God speed you well.

Yours,
Baba
January 1991 

SS

6 comments:

  1. Loved it...... The biggest value we can teach our children is to be human and lead a simple life.
    If all the parents understand this, our progeny will make the world a better place
    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Written 2 decades back .. "Sugar wont be sugar" reflects reality even today

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wish " Just be a good soul" reflects what you are , and your loved ones will be. Thank you for sharing such lovely poem

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wish from the heart truly got answered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful advice, the little Sen definitely did not disappoint you even though she must have read this poem much later in her life. This is a masterpiece and definitely for keeps, I will read to my son when he grows up a little more and understands the deepest expectation of a hopeful parent...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried. Uncle you write so beautifully, more importantly, I now know why we all love mrittika so much; cause she is every bit the person you wanted her to be.. And she could be this because you and aunty in all your love, your care, wanted this and it seeped through. Feel privileged to have read this. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete