Saturday 16 May 2015

There Goes My Baby...

Thank you Shoojit da for such a wonderful film. It made me think… for your ending is my beginning. My story is all about Piku, the Beautiful Bong from CR Park, Rana the owner of the taxi service and Rana’s alter ego….nothing but the inner voice of Rana who keeps talking to the physical Rana. Throughout the story the alter ego talks in italics. The story starts as soon as the little badminton game between Rana and Piku gets over and it’s time for the taxiwala to return home.

As Rana opens the door and sits at the steering wheel, his head turns towards Banerjee Villa and he sees Piku waving at him. Rana reciprocates and drives off. No sooner he moves out a little distance, a smile comes on to the face of Rana….

Thinking of her?
No way
Stop lying. I can see it in your eyes.
I am wearing dark shades, so how can you see my eyes?
I can see your heart and your soul…nothing’s hidden from me.
Ok then I was smiling and also thinking of her…so what?
Why don’t you tell?
Tell her what?
Rana stop fibbing. You like her so why not tell her?
Don’t be a fool. Do you know she’s a well read Bong and me just a UP ka Bhaiya, a Taxiwala…a Nobody.
So you admit you love her?
Ok…let’s accept for the moment I do feel for her. Telling her this is not possible.
Why?
Why? Because she will get upset. She trusts me as a friend!
Friend!! Phew…Ha Ha…
Stop laughing…it’s serious…
Yeah…that’s what I am saying…get serious if it is serious, if you’re serious…
I am afraid of losing her for my foolishness. She will think I am no better than all other men she has met.
You anyway don’t have her even now, so what are you going to lose? Chal aagey badh…
No, no… you don’t understand…I am happy to know her. I am happy just to drive her once in a while. I can live with that but can’t think of a situation when she doesn’t want to meet me…stop your nonsense.
Listen Buddy, it is one thing just to know her, just to sip a cuppa tea with her…what next. She’s good looking, right?
Yes she is…very beautiful.
She’s a good girl…I mean someone with whom you gel well?
Yes she is…very good. I like everything about her.
Is she the girl you would want by your side always?
Yes…why not?
You keep thinking of her often?
Yes I do…all the time. Can’t sleep without dreaming of her. See her everywhere, everytime…but no I can’t do it…just leave me alone.
I can’t go because you want me here. I am saying what you want to say. I am repeating what you’ve been rehearsing every night while twisting and turning in your bed. Wake up Rana. Go get her.

Screech…the car stops as Rana reaches home. Despite protests from his mother and sister, Rana excuses himself from dinner and goes to his room and locks it up. Changes into his kurta pyjama and takes out his cigarette and lighter from his jacket…something all these days he had been avoiding from Piku’s knowledge. He wanted to showcase himself as everything good, someone whom she could trust, someone in whom she would reach out for any help she might need. Needless to mention our man from UP never slept that night.

Sharp at 6 am, Rana took a good bath, shaved and wore clean clothes.
If there is any day, it has to be today.
I am gonna say it to Piku today.
I have confidence and confidence in me as Julie Andrews in Sound of Music would have said it.

By 7.30am he parked his car at a Gurudwara at Greater Kailash….500 metres from B Block CR Park. At 8 am he gets the call he’s been waiting for…”Sir, woh CR Park wali Madam ko office ke liye gadi chahiye”…someone from his office informed Rana. Rana slid into the seat, put on the air conditioner, checked the air purifier….mmmmmm perfect…hope she likes it…

Piku comes out of the house with a couple of files in her hand and swiftly opens the back door and sits down. 
Driver Chalo…she says and looks up.
Rana, you…what about your regular drivers?
All were busy today, so I came.
Jhooth…Ek dum jhooth…total lie Rana. You only told all the drivers that no one but you will take the C.R. Park wali Madam ki duty….anyway hope you say it to her now. Chal aagey badh…
So now you will expect me to sit in the front again? Of course I know you are the owner of the taxi service and not a driver….ok I will come in front but after you’ve moved out of this Bong colony….everyone will be peeping from behind the curtains to see what I am doing, now that Baba is no more.
Rana smiled and moved on or should I say drove forward.
The moment the car reached the ring road, Rana stopped the car and Piku stepped onto the front seat. Rana smiled again…so did Piku.
Rana could feel her reciprocating… the chemistry seemed just right. I think it’s time…
Cough…cough…Rana was trying to clear his throat.
Nothing’s wrong you fool. Your throat is fine. You coward,  making excuses…just say it to her now.
Ok I will, just give me a moment will you, said Rana.
What did you say just now, Rana…who were you talking to? asked Piku.
Sorry…I was thinking about something else and must have said…what did I say?
Couldn’t hear it fully but you said, Ok I will.
Forget it. It’s nothing. My mother asked me to get some vegetables while returning so must have spoken to her in my sub conscious.
As Rana prepared the well rehearsed speech of his lifetime, Piku’s phone started ringing.
Syed, I am on my way, just a little late….no no there’s been no accident.  All is fine.
The talk went on till the car reached Piku’s office gate while fidgety Rana kept looking at the road and the passenger next to him waiting for an opportune time.
Piku unfastened the seat belt and told Rana that she will not need the car in the evening as she was going to her Mashi’s (Aunt’s) place and the guy you all saw in the movie with long hair and who was someone big in the US of A would pick her up from the office.

Craaaashhhh…although the car was sound, Rana felt a big tree falling on him… completely depressed he sat stunned in the car.
Hello…Rana…get up…it’s not the end of the world. You will meet her tomorrow again. You can tell her up and straight. Don’t wait for her to come out to the car tomorrow morning, just walk into the house, tell her what you feel. All will be fine. It is just a matter of one day.
But how will I survive this one long day and the night that follows? Forget it, she’s not meant for me. The signs are ominous. I am a fool and need to stay away. Stop troubling me. Stop putting me in trouble.
Me? And putting you in trouble? One day you can’t live without her and you’re blaming me for pushing you to speak to her?
Rana and his alter ego kept speaking, kept arguing, kept disagreeing…most importantly kept awake till the sun arose one more time. As usual the story unfolded with Rana waiting outside for Piku. His sleepy eyes he hid behind the shades but somehow managed a smile as Piku walked up. Today Piku showed bravery. She went straight to the front seat and sat down.
Rana was happy…delighted should I say.
Piku too looked happy at her valour.
The car moved on. Rana did not want to waste any time.
Piku, I want to tell you something.
Rana, I too want to say something very interesting. Can’t wait to tell you.
Rana looked lost. A good soul he always was…achcha tum bolo pehley (ok you tell first).

As the radio played old English Rock music, something Piku loved to hear and something Rana had also taken a fancy for, the lady started talking.
Rana, you know last night at Mashi’s place, Saurabh…her nephew from the US of A offered me a job in the best architectural company in New York. Wow…isn’t it wonderful! I always wanted to go to the US but because of Baba stayed behind. Now there is nothing to keep me back from my dream. I can’t tell you how happy I am, Rana.
Rana looked stunned and fell silent.
Kya Rana, you have nothing to say? It is such an important thing in my life…I’m goin’ to NY and you’re looking as if something bad has happened.
Congratulations Piku…I was just taken aback by the suddenness. I am so happy for you.
Jhooth…ekdum jhooth…total lie once again…tell her don’t go. Don’t go for your sake. Stay back…Please.
I am going to put in my resignation today. From tomorrow I will not be going to the office as I will be doing all the paper work. So won’t need the car anymore.
Crying now Mr. Rana? This is the result of total constipation….yes constipation… same as what Piku’s father suffered from. Remember the picture you drew for Bhaskor Banerjee…here, let me do the same for you. The message from your heart moves to the mouth but the signal from your brain stops you from uttering those dreaded three words….do you get the picture? All along you wanted to say it to her but could never bring it out…that is Total Constipation. Ab roowo…now cry…
The radio was playing an old Smokie song-

Oh, I don't know why she's leaving,
Or where she's gonna go,
I guess she's got her reasons,
But I just don't want to know,
Cause for twenty-four years
I've been living next door to Alice.
Twenty-four years just waiting for a chance,
To tell her how I'm feeling, maybe get a second glance,
Now I've got to get used to not living next door to Alice...


What did you want to say, Rana.
I also wanted to tell you that I will be winding up the taxi business soon. I am also looking for an opportunity to go back to the Gulf.
Jhooth…pura jhooth…total lie once again. You bloody coward making up stories. Don’t have the courage to tell her you like her, you want her to stay with you and here you are saying you are also going away to making her feel better…as if she was feeling sorry for you…
Anyway Piku just let me know if you need any help. At least tell me when you are leaving; I’ll drive you to the airport one last time.

Many days passed. Piku did not call. Rana lay depressed, neither going to office nor coming out of the house.  One evening the phone rang….the name on the screen was ‘Piku calling’…
Rana, I am flying out tomorrow night. It will be nice to meet you tomorrow evening.
I’ll be there at 9 pm, don’t worry.

Rana rang the door bell next evening. Piku opened the door, as usual with a wide smile. She really looked happy and excited. Everything was packed. Budhan picked up the bags and put them in the car. Lots of Mashis and Pishis had come to bid her good bye.
Rana opened the door one last time and it was the front door of course. Piku settled down. She had tears in her eyes…sad she was for leaving her home for so many years…Rana pulled out a tissue and handed it to her. And the car moved on.
Rana switched on a CD he had kept ready for the occasion…it was an old ghazal he wanted her to hear…what he wanted to say but wasn’t getting to do it..

Tumko apni kasam jaan-e-jaan 
Baat itni meri maan lo 
Aaj jaane ki zid na karo 
Aaj jaane ki zid na karo 
Haaye mar jaayenge hum

Aisi baatein kiya na karo 
Aaj jaane ki zid na karo 
Aaj jaane ki zid na karo 


Rana that was Baba’s favorite ghazal. He loved old songs and ghazals…oh thank you for playing it today.
Tell her you fool that what the song says, don’t go is what you want to tell her. She might still change her decision. Turn the car around, hold her hand and say it Man. This is your do or die moment, Rana, just do it!
On the way she talked of the journey to Kolkata and all the good times they had together. The car reached international airport. Rana quickly got a trolley for Piku.

Thank you Rana. You’ve been such a good friend to me all this while. Don’t know how to thank you. She walked up to him and gave him a big tight hug. She once more had tears in her eyes.
She passed the entry gate and waved Rana good bye. Rana started the car again and the radio was playing the Queen song…

But life still goes on
I can’t get used to living, living without, living without,
Living without you by my side
I don’t want to live alone, hey
God knows, got to make it on my own
So baby can’t you see
I’ve got to break free.



10 comments:

  1. Awesome script for Piku2 show it to Soojit👌 can I expect to read something like this on Bob Biswas 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to watch the movie to relate to this blog and I'm so pleased I did today. How I wanted them to be together in the movie and how much more I wanted them to be together in your script too. But this heart constipation spoilt it all. Even Bhaskor Banerjee in the movie got rid of his constipation at the end so why could not Rana :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one... You have a great alternate career in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! This is as realistic as the movie. I wouldnt have liked the movie as much as i did had they got together in the end. you kept it that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! This is as realistic as the movie. I wouldnt have liked the movie as much as i did had they got together in the end. you kept it that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the story of piku and her life, I did like the extended thought of she pursuing her dreams which she always wished too and couldn't along with the responsibility....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm ..did I just read the script ... like a true story teller , story builds up , keeps you guessing and have a parting end ( or climax for those who thought otherwise ) ... not to forget the songs & the ghazals in between b...ywood style

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no!
    I so wanted both of them happy together :(
    However, very good piece of work, I was totally hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful sequel ... Deep emotions nicely reflected !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bollywood. There is s fine script writer at home.
    Find him.

    ReplyDelete