Saturday 26 September 2015

WANNA BE A CALENDAR GIRL


One night, was sitting in the kitchen
With a heap of utensils to wash
Wondering if this life of work & drudgery
Ever would end.
And out of thin air, came a beautiful Fairy
Ask for a wish and thou shall get
Just one wish, Yes, just one wish and no more
I wondered as my thoughts wandered
No, not riches, not food, not glory, not kingdom I seek
I just want to be a role model,
Just wanna be a Model.
Whaaaaat??
Yes you heard me right, I wanna be a Model
For all my life, have got along well
With oldies and kids alike, not so with youngsters
I want them to look at me, admire me, adore me
No better way than being a Model
I just wanna be a Calendar Girl
The one who’s there on the walls
Pasted on minds, glued on hearts
All through the year!

Ok, so be it but I’ll need to change your….
That’s ok, if Bruce Jenner can, I too can
Give me a beautiful face like Katrina
With a pout like Priyanka’s, legs like Deepika
Complexion like Kareena’s
Simply make me Sunny!
Intelligence? You can give it a miss
Buss…that’s it, of course there is another thing
Tomorrow is the Big Night, when they will select
The Calendar Girls for next year
Oh, how lovely will it be to be up there on stage
Wear the crown of glory, get clicked get applauded
And get a million hearts beating.

Ok said the Fairy, so be it.
Here I change you from, Man to a Woman
A woman of your choice
With beauty beyond words
Truly you will be the Queen of Hearts
And much more tomorrow night.
And of course here’s some more
A beautiful evening gown to wear
Shoes that’ll fit, bag full of best cosmetics.
Remember all this will last for only a day
Then it’ll be life as usual.

As I transformed, the Fairly vanished
Got all I wanted plus a God Card
Fairy said this will pay for anything
This money is freely convertible,
With no downturns in value.
Everything seemed so perfect
Just two things were amiss…
My hairy arms and
Oops no swim suit in my duffel bag
Anyway both shouldn’t be much of a problem
And started solving the First
Wore a hijaab to hide my change
Went to Soni & Guy who my landlady said were the best
Walked in and said Shave…, Sorry clean me up
Came in Guy to do the job
His walk, talk & style left me to wonder
If the name ought to be, Soni & Gay!
Oooh..oooch..Hai Raam, bus bhi kar
As he pulled off  years of hardened mare
By the time he finished, felt like a new born baby
My arms felt so tender, My long Deepika legs so s…
I went to the counter, He said ten thousand please
I swiped my God Card and out came
A couple of VIP Tirupathi Devasthanam Passes
Guy was delighted.

One down, One more to go.
This one was far more difficult
Went to the sports shop, asked for swim wear
He showed me Speedo & Arena, offered fins and cap as well
But when I whispered into his ears
Modelling ke liye chahiye, Bhai
He burst out laughing, Not here Baby
Showed me to a fancy store nearby
Where I saw the skimpy stuff hanging
Uuff… I nearly fainted
Oh No!
Oh My!
How can I?
Went to the trial room, couldn’t believe
What transformation!
Looked great, felt good & smiled
No wonder when you wear these
People say,” gimme more, gimme more”
Ended up buying the finest two piece
Or should I say the slimmest
He said it was the best, both the suit & the price
50 grand, Please, and so I paid him
Again through my God Card
He swiped and out came VVIP Passes to Shirdi
He was overjoyed
Gods truly must be crazy
No matter what business you’re in
You’ll always find printed in bold
In God we trust, rest pay cash

Now I said to myself as Maria did
"So, let them bring on all their problems
I'll do better than my best
I have confidence they'll put me to test
but I'll make them see I have confidence in me."

It was the night of the event
Saw my name displayed in the hall
Shortlisted for the finals
The Fairy had done her part.
As I went into the changing room
In came a man with a white beard with hat on top
Hi Baby…you’re beautiful,
You can be a winner, I can make sure of that
Because it’s my calendar and I decide the calendar girls
Who’ll be in, who’ll be out
Wow..thanks Sir but I rather do it the fair way
The old man was funny or should I say strange
He wouldn’t leave the room for me to change
And started acting funny
Helpless I said
Mujhe Bhagwaan ke liye chod do
He smiled and said
Arrey agar Bhagwaan ke pass hi jana tha
To Lakshmi aur Saraswati Press jana tha
They would have dressed you
Like Durga, Kali & Lakshmi..
Calendar Girl fir bhi ban jaati tu
Not here baby.. its my world
It’s my way or the highway
Main aisi waisi ladki nahin, I pleaded
As they would say in all old movies
Where chastity was the greatest value
Lifted my long skirt and started running 

I ran as fast as I could, He ran after me
I ran..he ran, we ran
One of my stilettos fell off, he picked it
But I kept running, running for life
Went into a sports bar
Where they were screening El Classico
It was Real Madrid vs Barcelona, 
It was Ronaldo vs Messi
Everyone there was drinking beer and cheering loud
No pinching of backs
No lewd comments here
No funny acting as well
When they saw my Beckham tattoo on my arm
They cheered and took me for one of them
And I said to myself, this is where I belong.
The green, green grass
The running, the tackles, the goals
Yes, this is my world
Let me go back to my daily chores
Let me be what I am.

Next day the old man came
The kingfisher in search of his worm
Knocked at my door, was disappointed to see
A spectacled middle aged balding man
Asked if there was anyone in the house
Whose feet would fit the stiletto he had
I put my foot for him to see
Offended & disappointed he left
Came to know that the Old Beardy
Spent all his fortune looking for the Cinderella
The Calendar came out that year
Beautiful Girls, Beautiful Swimsuits
But no Beautiful Me,
Up in smoke went my fairy-tale
Cinder-wala remains and that's Truly Me.

1 comment: