Saturday 5 December 2015

DEATH OF AN UNDERWRITER

(Wrote this piece in early 2010 and was instantly rejected for being blasphemous to appear in a government journal. They later showed more ‘tolerance’ and this featured in the IRDA Journal of May 2010 Sharing with you all as one of my favorite official write-up… being normal is boring!!)

On a Black Sunday, I sat and thought,
Is this a life worth living for?
Is this a life worth dying for?
For what is life without the 3 Ps
Pride Premium Profit
The balance sheet of life was staring down at me
Death to this world of woe
Better dead than living.

Being a Master Mariner all my life
Just couldn't hang like an acrobat from a tree
Never think of death by rat venom
Stabbed to death many a times by Brutus
Found my way to the blue sea
Jumped off the rickety Black Pearl
Freedom at last!
Deep under no price to fight for
All is well with no pride to live for.

They found me floating, pulled me out
They put me on a bed, took me to yard
Where my best friend read an epitaph
Agents, brokers, clientele men, lend me your ears;
I come to bury an Underwriter, not to praise him;
The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interred with their bones,
So let it be with this underwriter ... The noble Brutus
Hath told you the underwriter was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath the underwriter answered it ...
I found myself floating high above the clouds
Till I reached the Gates of Heaven
Saint Peter was waiting there for me
Blessed was I to see such a sight.
Good morning Father.
Good morning son.
What's your name? What's your PAN number?
Puzzled was I at the last request.
Father said, that's an order from the Boss
The Regulator who controls us all
Says no evasion no con up here…
Sen, AXN 3344, I said
An Underwriter with Tata AIG, Sir.

His Holiness scratched his flowing beard
Underwear, Undertaker, Undercover I know of
What's an underwriter is new…phew
Googled Windows Version Heaven
Pop came the answer
A rare specie of aboriginals on planet earth
Fast eroding, evaporating and eliminating
Sole guardians & interpreters of Holy Tariff, Clauses
Examine Risks but hardly accept same
Write Policies but hardly anyone understands
Believes I am the Best.

Ummm an Underwriter…
A job quite fit for Gods.
Sen & Sensibilities go together for you, son
Honored to have you at heaven
But before you enter we do a check
Check the credentials befitting the place.
A board of 3 Holy men will do the test.
Father, I've faced many a stern test all my life
With no vice of Wine Women Wealth
Have nothing to fear but fear today, said I.

Walked across to the first cave
Brilliantly illuminated and decorated
With heavenly music of Rahman playing
Jai Ho, I knew I had arrived.
Welcome Son, I am Father Saleuman
As my name suggests I'm here for Sales
I ensure that the census here is more than …
You know where…Yes Father.
My motto is “Grow or Go”
Let me open your Book of Life
One - You were very Creative
You wrote a book on business
101 Ways to Kill a Proposal.
Two - You were very knowledgeable
But kept it close to your chest
Never shared it with people.
Three - Your motto in life
Bottoms Up, Top line is for Fools.
No Son- you don't fit in here.

Walked into a soberly adorned office.
Welcome Son, I am Father Orderly
I take care of Compliance and Audits
My motto is “Follow Rules or Fall”.
I check if a soul has done his job correctly
Followed all directions expected of him.
Let me open your Book of Life
One - You were very creative
You made airplanes out of circulars
Of  vessel approvals and overages.
Two - You were very knowledgeable
But why Textiles @ 0.10% Sugar @ 0.01%
Sanity was never your strong point.
Three - your motto in life
Highest Price, Lowest Cover
Sorry Son, you never followed the law.

Finally walked into a marketplace
Where a Saint came up and said,
Welcome Son, I am Father Fairplay
I do a check on the character of a man
My motto is “Johnny Be Good Be Good”
He who is good will find a place in heaven
Even if he fails the tests of sales & audit.
Let me open your Book of Life.
One - You were very creative
A thousand claims denied
As you interpreted words in policies.
Two - You were very knowledgeable
eMarine, STOP, STP- eliminating competition
Driving fellow underwriters elsewhere nuts.
Three - Your motto in life
Only Marine, Only Marine
Let other lines go to…..
Sorry Son, can't let you in.

Hell was staring at me, so was Saint Peter
Son we have a problem
You failed the Sales Test
You failed the Compliance Test
You also failed the Humanity Test
I have just called up my counterpart
In Hell, of course
They are delighted to see your resume.
They are sending a rock band
And an open bus to take you there.
Went down on my knees and said,
Father can't I get a Second Chance
A Second Chance to get it Right this time
Pious Peter saw my tears and nodded
Sent me back to earth
Today I am called SALMAN Bhai
Short for SALes MANager of Mumbai
I constantly wear a T shirt
I am SALMAN and 
I am not a Terrorist.

9 comments:

  1. 😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

    ReplyDelete
  2. In respondentia, I appreciate this bottomry. By and large I think this is not a particular average

    ReplyDelete
  3. New meaning of word Salman....

    ReplyDelete
  4. New meaning of word Salman....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reality friend. There could be so many like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Underwriter dictionary meaning by ST Peter
    And
    New meaning of Salman
    Overall

    Very well written

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is brilliant writing, have read it before but enjoyed revisiting it. Getting a second chance to become sal man, is most certainly better than to end up being an UW in hell :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Et tu Brute?
    Ha ha ha.
    This is a masterpiece in every bit. However,
    I loved the idea of His Holiness not knowing who an underwriter is the most.
    Job fit for the Gods!!!!
    Hats off boss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Et tu Brute?
    Ha ha ha.
    This is a masterpiece in every bit. However,
    I loved the idea of His Holiness not knowing who an underwriter is the most.
    Job fit for the Gods!!!!
    Hats off boss

    ReplyDelete