Sunday 13 September 2020

Happiness Is...

 It was still dark outside but she quickly got out of bed and in no time was ready in her school uniform. She even found time to rub off the dust from her black shoes that were lying under her bed for months together. She walked up to the mirror on the wall, adjusted her hair a bit and smiled….I did good!

She then walked into her parents’ bedroom and went straight where the mother slept. She removed the thin wrap and gently tapped the sleeping mother on her bare hand. “Wake up Mama and make me my breakfast.”  A startled mother woke and couldn’t believe what she saw before her…her little one, all dressed up in school uniform and her packed satchel on the floor.

“Pinky, go back to bed. We do not have to go anywhere for school now…not now and not anytime soon. We have brought the school into our house and will continue to do it on the computer screen as you have been doing for months now. “

“No Mama, I want to go to the school. I don’t like this computer school. I want my friends. I want my teacher. I want my games. I want my school bus. I want my tiffin box,” said a five year old toddler, almost in tears.

The mother got off the bed and hugged the little girl and kissed her tight on her chubby cheeks and then on her forehead. “Babu, I know you like going to school but because of this bad and dangerous disease all around us, the school is shut. The teachers are not going there. Your friends are also not going. No school bus is plying. Everything has come to a standstill. Yes, but I can make you some nice snacks and put it in your lunchbox to be had at home when you are hungry.”

“No Mama. I hate this school from home. I even checked with some of my friends who have all agreed to go to school today. I am sure they are all going and I am not going to be the one to miss all the fun. Please Mama, take me to school,” said a pleading Pinky.

“It is not safe outside. How can I allow you to go? I love you so much and cannot see you fall sick. Now that you are ready, we will have breakfast and by then it will be time for your morning online assembly and PT class.”

“No, no, no…I will not do PT before the computer screen. I will do it standing on the school lawns.”

“At school the teachers punish you and even smack you at times for not doing your homework. So when you are at home, you are safe. The teachers cannot even scold you now. It is so much better studying at home. And Mama and Papa are there with you all the time.”

“I like my teachers. They love us and they never beat us. They only tell us good things and get angry when we make mistakes. They even get goodies for us and often play with us. I cannot have all this when studying at home. Why don’t you understand Mama, I want to go to school.”

By now the tears had started pouring out and the commotion woke up the father who was pretty startled by the scene before his eyes…a crying daughter and a sobbing wife! He rubbed his eyes to check whether he was not hallucinating. “What’s happening to my beauties? Why are you both crying?”

“Your darling wants to go to the school and is refusing to do the home study. I have explained everything to her but she is like you…headstrong and never strong on logic…ab sambhalo isko…I am tired and going to the kitchen.”

After a while, the father and a smiling daughter walked into the kitchen to the utter surprise of the mother. “We are all going to the school together…Pinky…Pinky’s Mama and Pinky’s Papa.”

Outvoted, the mother agreed. The parents quickly changed into semi formals and all of them had a good breakfast together. Today, the girl did not have to be told to eat quickly or else she would miss her school bus, she did not even have to be told that she had to finish the hard edges of the bread and sip till the last drop of milk in the glass was over….she did it all on her own…and did it happily.

Pinky put her bag on her shoulders and slung the water bottle over one arm as she confidently opened the back door of the car and happily allowed her mother to sit in front, a seat that was permanently hers all this time. The mother, too, was surprised at the change but without making any fuss, strapped up the seat belt as the father started the engine.

In no time they reached the school. There were a few more cars that followed as they got off the car. Pinky was excited as she stepped ahead of her parents. Four other kids also reached the school gate at the same time. A masked security guard standing inside gave the kids a big salute and the kids stood in a row to return the salute….Jai Hind!

School toh bandh hai…you cannot go inside.” There was a lock on the gate which saddened the kids as they peeped inside through the slits in the rows of wooden planks on it. Inside they could see the school building and the pathway, all of which was empty. They then saw the playground. It was kept so nice and green. The grass was mowed perfectly and there was not a drop of dirt around. All around the playground were beautiful flowers blooming. Their eyes then went to the gardener who was tirelessly working to keep the flower beds trimmed and tidy. The old gardener looked up and saw the peeping kids and with a broad smile he waved at them. The kids put out their hands and waved him back….Mali Chacha Namaste…Namaste Namaste…

The father walked up to the security guard and requested if he could open up the gate for a little while and allow the kids to play on the ground. “Sir, I will do it but if the principal comes to know about it I will lose my job.” “Don’t worry, no one will ever complain.”

As the guard went to unlock the gate, the kids were already pushing it hard with all their might…and when it was opened, they rushed towards the playground. As parents stood together with masks on their faces, you could not see their smiles but could clearly see the watery eyes as they saw their kids rolling on the ground…running after each other….shouting….singing….and then the kids were joined by the guard and mali chacha as they went round and round in circle singing….ring a ring of roses, pocket full of posies…

Life regained. Happiness restored.

SS

38 comments:

  1. Brought happiness 😊
    Incidentally this was the topic of essay I did in 10th grade that was read out to all the classes 🙃

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice SS . Looking from the lens of a child. Only few people like u can do it with ease

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wishlist for most school kids, as they yearn to be back with classmates, friends, teachers and not to forget- as you rightly mentioned- the school security, gardeners, school canteen, recreational activities; all of which they miss, but hardly complain. The tough times will soon be a history, sooner.
    Very nice & thoughtful, articulated adeptly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well articulated from the point of view of a child. It must be terrible for them. I remember as a small town boy, we would cycle to school even during vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can easily link it as my 8 years daughter ask me almost every alternate day - "Papa, when will I go to school again? " and I pretend as if I haven't heard anything.Hopefully, someday in near future I shall be in position to give her response which will bring smile on her face.. Waiting eagerly for that day. ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. School has become the sweetest destination for a child. School mein rahunga mein, online nahi jaaoonga mein 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. You hate school when you are there and miss it when you are not.
    As you grow and move on the school is a permanent memory.
    Your writing brings out the cravings of a child and the beauty of the school.
    And of course the playground. If the playground were to come to life it could tell you how it has been such an evergreen source of happiness.
    Lovely writing. You start looking through the eyes of the child

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish it comes true for all of us

    ReplyDelete
  9. True inner feeling of children very well penned down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life regained . Happiness restored .

    ReplyDelete
  11. More than a child speaking, I saw an adult hoping in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunshine, rain very true, it is time life to regain and happiness to be restored. Beautifully narrated from a child's perspective. Wish good days come back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. School is second home for children,where they do Full Masti with their friends and actually they are Missing schools a lot now a days. Sir, you have articulated it nicely. Very good story for this Sunday,which is directly related to all parents and their children.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice sense of nostalgia created by your magical story writing prowess. That too a real lifelike view from the lens if a school going kid is really fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very well written...oodles of empathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. 😊👌
    Even adults wanted to be back @ work during those prolonged lock dowtimes

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute. I wish life were so simple and full of warmth! My neighbours kid who is in pre kg had been prepping for months to go to school and was let down when she was told that school is on the computer for half an hour. That cheeky little thing informs me she has school for just half an hour daily and has lots of time to play. What will you do when Papa returns to office, I ask. Of if he goes to office, that means there no corona and I can go to school! Till then my playhouse is in the dining room, my garden is the terrace and my classmates are the parrots it seems. But look aunty, I have a small school at home. I am the teacher and all these are students. Of she goes with a cheeky grin. Wish we could adjust as easily to these claustrophobic times. Great story SHIBU

    ReplyDelete
  18. Darun laglo sir..read it to my daughter and we both enjoyed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well written sir, I can so relate to it, my fellow is 8 now and wants to go to school desperately

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very well written Sir. i read it along with my son. We both enjoyed it..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautifully written the entire conversation between the kid with her mother, How father has solved the situation, & how kids must have expressed their feeling for the school after such a long time gap....my son Chiraaksh is 3 now & we have connected & we loved it

    ReplyDelete
  22. I could almost feel the pure simplicity of dew drops of grass on my tiny feet...

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazingly portrayed feelings as you always do...

    ReplyDelete
  25. The little child in all of us is desperate to connect with real people and play around again. If only we could throw a tantrum and our parents could down from heaven, to fulfill our wish!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice and simple... I hope sunshine days are back sooner for all the kid's.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Komal S - very well narrated Sir. Could actually relate the same as currently all kids r desparately waiting to go to school, be with their teachers, friends, their school gossips.and.mischiefs. Read it with my daughter and.thorougly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow so cute and refreshing 👌👌

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sir, you have captured the precise feelings of children and the emotional dilemma of parents, in these trying times. Wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sir this is really awesome and right now every children wanna go back to school..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very nicely written sir... Now I want to go back to school...

    ReplyDelete