Sunday 15 November 2020

Billu

Every Sunday morning, for the last few months, I would see him stand there next to his shop. He would always give me a knowing and a welcoming smile. Since the time lockdown had been enforced, his shop had its shutter down and a big lock hanging outside. My hair kept growing by the day and a couple of attempts by my wife to level the grass sprouting from behind the ears, growing wildly from behind and flying everywhere as the wind blew on a shampoo day, met with little success. My lady loves her Amazon escapades and told me about the numerous trimmers available online including the one being used by Indian Cricket Team Captain Virat Kohli. But I brushed aside her requests saying, “I shall not buy anything that will put my man, who has served me so well for over fifteen years, out of work. He is there waiting for the day when things will normalize and his shop will re-open and I am also waiting for the day when I shall sit on the high chair like a monarch wrapped in a cover with SRK printed on it, looking at myself in the huge mirror in front while my hair was getting clipped neatly.”

One day Billu took the courage to say,” Sir, please get a piece of cloth from home. We can enter the shop from the rear entrance and I shall cut your hair. A lot of people are doing it and there is nothing to worry.” I smiled back at him and wondered at the Indian jugaad at practice in my backyard. The good Citizen Kane in me said, “No, not now. We have waited long enough and I am sure things will get better soon and then when officially your shop opens, I shall surely come. Till then I shall keep growing my hair.” But before leaving, I put a Rs 500 currency note in his hand and told him this would be my advance payment for the first hair cut soon. Billu smiled and put the money in his front shirt pocket.

Another couple of months passed and the government officially allowed barber shops to be opened. I was looking forward to the day for now I had started looking like Edgar Rice Burroughs’ hero swinging from the vines in the jungles of Africa crying out aloud…Kreeegah Tarzan Bundolo…I was told that personal hygiene was the most important thing in times of the pandemic so I should consider going to a Cutz and Curlz or Mr.Khan’s exquisite salon where the people styling your hair would be in PPE kits and you may be rinsed in sanitizers and disinfectants. “No! No means No.” Just the way Bachchan said in Pink. I shall go to my old faithful Anupam Hair Dressar” Yes, the spelling on the shop’s board outside is phonetically correct and I quite like it. So armed with an old bed sheet under my armpit, a mask on my face and a pair of gloves covering my hands, off I went to the Billu’s small simple shop on SV Road.

As I opened the door, Billu asked me to wait as one customer was being attended to. After hanging out for some time, I was ushered in. “Saab, pehle naashta kar loon? (Sir, shall I eat my breakfast first?), he asked. “Yes, of course.” I sat down in one corner as Billu took out a small packet of ParleG biscuits and ate them one by one with a small glass of water by his side. Wondered if this is all our man has for breakfast? He then washed his hands well, put on a fresh pair of gloves and asked me to take to the elevated throne. Billu took out his tools…scissors, trimmer, combs and blade on which he sprayed a round of sanitizer and got to work. He wrapped my bed sheet around me well, positioned my head straight and sprayed my head with a sprinkle of water from a small sprayer… this first portion of hair cut was always enjoyable to me….the cool water possibly calmed the nerves of the person waiting for the head to be chopped off on the guillotine table.

I started flipping through a year old edition of Filmfare and Billu got busy with his work. His hands started working like a skilled craftsman  and while working on my head he started talking…”Yeh Kaliyug hai Saab. This is the effect of the Kaliyug or the Age of Kali or the age of discord, dissent, strife and all things bad. Whatever is happening to this world is all because of this people’s greed and materialism and all things evil.”

I looked at him with surprise. This was a new theory to me about the rise and spread of Covid.

Billu continued to explain. “Sir, just see the elders would tell us about the Kaliyug and asked us to beware of such times. They said, adharma will prevail, people will be fighting against each other, sin will increase exponentially, people will be addicted to drugs and drinks, people will act as if they are gods, fake ideologies would spread and many diseases will take control.”

Hmmm….there was no doubt much truth in Billu’s theory.

As Billu moved from cutting the hair at the back of my head to the front, he went on talking. “Saab ek kahani sunata hoon (Sir, I will tell you a story). There were ten people walking through a dense forest. Suddenly the weather became bad and there was lightning flashing dangerously close to the people. The folks got together and came to the conclusion that one among them was cursed and because of him they were all suffering. To find out who this person was, they would ask each one of them to stand next to a tree and if the lightning were to strike on the person there, he alone would perish and others would survive. One by one nine of them stood but the lightning fell elsewhere and they were all relieved. The tenth man was mortified and reluctantly went up and stood next to the tree waiting for the lightning to strike which did so with loud noise and illumination nearby. The tenth man near the tree survived but the other nine standing at a distance waiting to see his fate all perished as the lightning had fallen on them instead.”

“This is truly Kaliyug Saab and cleansing of the sullied and villainous earth is happening now. Only a few good people will survive. Maybe, just one in ten.”

By now Billu had done with my hair and was giving me a quick complimentary Champi or a head massage. He knew I enjoyed this part of my monthly sittings and often I would ask him to give me an oil massage, but it was not to be this day. My man had got me into thinking beyond the search for vaccine and economic recession. What Billu said made sense even though difficult to prove scientifically but science anyway seemed to have failed for now in bringing down the growth of this cursed illness. To divert my attention, I asked him about his family and how he had made it through the tough times.

“Sir, in the initial few months, it was manageable with the little savings I had done but as the lockdown went on, it became more and more difficult. But thanks to a few old time customers who gave me ration and some money, I could survive.  Now things are getting better but even on weekends we get half the customers we used to before the pandemic. Seems many people have taken to doing it themselves, some have taken to the Urban Clap way of home service and the more affluent have moved to the stylish expensive salons. My wife does not have any work now and my daughter of eight years is off her school and books all this time. Praying and hoping for things to get better.”

Billu’s usual hair cutting charges were hundred rupees to which I usually added another twenty for his good services. So today before leaving home, I carried a hundred and three tenners in my pocket for him apart from a couple of five hundred rupee note for the next door grocery shop where I needed to pick up some other things. After hearing the man’s story, I dipped into my pocket and pulled out everything there and put it in Billu’s outstretched palm….”Happy Diwali….Beti aur biwi ko mithai khila dena”….and walked out without waiting to see his reaction.

Kaliyug must end and we can all play a part in its demise with very tiny deeds of kindness and love.

SS

30 comments:

  1. Problems of a common man well captured . I have been cropping my hair with the trimmer since the beginning of the lockdown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Shibu, beautiful feelings. Thanks for sharing once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billu the Barber, nice one. Billus outstretched palms would have been more than happy this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True said... This demon atleast make us realise the importance of those tiny things which we knew exists but never gave its due importance.. As my dad always say - Don't worry if something bad happens, as it has something good hidden in it for you... Hoping for the our better future...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rightly said... This demon atleast make us realise the importance of those tiny things which we knew exists but never gave its due importance.. As my dad always say - Don't worry if something bad happens, as it has something good hidden in it for you... Hoping for the our better future...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super Sibesh.loved the article, so relatable and so us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. True in such times we need to understand the concept of vasudevakutumbam ( the world is one family ) even more , caring for all around us especially the not so fortunate ones .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Senti kar diya! You are awesome as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless you Sibeshda..may your tribe increase..wonderful motivating beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless you Sibeshda..may your tribe increase..wonderful motivating beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely penned SS. Liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Diwali Sir ! May god bless you with even more and more strength, Good health and wealth to help people like Billu !
    As usual no words for your writing and connecting a very small incident beutifully...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes. Every tradesman needs a helping hand and yes Shibu, that generosity has to be couched in empathy and camouflaged as a gift or they are reluctant to accept charity. There is desperate need to reach out to everyone if them. Sabziwali, laundry wali, tailor, Barber, flower seller, however, milk supplier, fruit seller, the safaiwallahs, small time plumbers, electricians.... We have all become contortionists. Though turning to online shopping for some items in the beginning, I have studiously leaned on the kinarashop and small timers for every single thing. Getting the iron wallah to use my garage and deal with it clothes once a week.. So people knew their clothes won't be mixed up and started giving her work. . And yes Vijay looks like a scarecrow and refused offers of haircut at home or plethora of trimmers. Finally he needed urban clasp once as there was an SC thing. Back to growing his mom and waiting for his friends the barber to open shop. The world needs generous people like you. Lovely blog this

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent capture of a barber's feelings, woes, sorrows and worries. The effective communication of that in story form is indeed a skill that you have mastered or rather goddess Saraswati has bestowed on you..
    Indeed it's Kaliyug and a lot of sinners will get their due is my take also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Deepwali Sir,
    Kindness is contagious and can beat any pandemic. Thank you for sharing such beautiful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Superb Sir, Happy Diwali

    Mitesh Nagar

    ReplyDelete
  17. The problem of men and daily earners due to Pandemic followed by Lockdown well captured Sibesh. Agree, not buying a trimmer was a good idea to keep Billu employed who is also a part of us... Lovely piece

    ReplyDelete
  18. With such good deed , kaliyug will go indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very touching story. God bless all the unknown Billus around the world, they have struggled silently through the lockdown, absorbing the impact with nerves of steel, yet never giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some blogs just don’t need comments because it swells our hearts and leave us speechless. Giving to those who are capable of returning and giving to those who cannot, Multifold blessings to the latter, now I add another good soul to that list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You ended the piece by giving to a person who needed the help. This is perhaps the biggest truth during these times. Well written as usual with the humor that shines

    ReplyDelete
  22. Touching and nice.
    We all need to play our part for sure

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very touching and the narrative was beautiful. You have provoked those human feelings of kindness in many of us. We definitely need to see how we can contribute towards better society

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very touching and the narrative was beautiful. You have provoked those human feelings of kindness in many of us. We definitely need to see how we can contribute towards better society

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very beautiful narration and a very touching story, you have always been generous be it covid or non covid. I belier we can all do our part in our small ways... It will lead to the greater good...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very interesting read. The culmination of the story had a 'feel good' effect on me. Your one kind act made a huge, huge difference difference to one human being during this depressing period.

    ReplyDelete