August 24, 2031, The Ghost of My Youth Past
“Do you miss me?”
I smile faintly. Turn the volume up of the Recap Playlist as I continue driving down the familiar road. Avril Lavigne’s ‘Complicated’ fades into the background as the voice of RJ 2014 takes over.
“Do you miss the days you were riding the red scooty instead of this four-wheeled seat belt equipped vehicle?”
“A little. Sometimes.”
“And what about the days when you could bunk the classes without applying for leave a month in advance?”
“I don’t need to now.”
“You didn’t need to then either. You did it anyway. What about your gang? Are they still as crazy?”
“When we meet once a year, yes. For that night.” My gaze lingers on my phone propped up on the holder on the windshield. Seven familiar faces grin back at me from India Gate, eyes crinkled, arms over each other’s shoulders. The hair is all black, messed up by the wind that day.
“Does JK come for the reunions?
I nod with a smirk, knowing very well she knows the answer.
“Do you regret saying no to him?”
“No.”
“How come?”
“He’s happy. I’m happy. We are both happy meeting each other when we do.”
“What about Shalini? Are you guys finally talking to each other?”
“Of course! You really think we would hold that grudge for so long? She is coming to India next month.”
“Do you miss me?”
I sigh, tap my screen for the next track.
The drums start playing the familiar tune.
Those were the best days of my life.
July 20, 2026, The Ghost of My Youth Present
“Does it hurt?”
What kind of a question is that? Ya, of course it does. I just got beaten up with a lathi for the first time in my life!
“What were you thinking? I told you, don’t go, there could be trouble.”
I look up incredulously at the blatant untruth.
“No, you did not. You said, I must go. What has happened, what is happening, it’s all wrong. If we don’t do anything now, this will keep happening. Take your camera and microphone. Somebody must report the truth.”
“I was just being supportive. Since obviously you have not told your parents, I thought it would be good to stand by you. I most definitely did not ask you to go to the frontline and keep recording like an idiot.”
“Bah! I must have been crazy to listen to you. Now stop pestering, I have no signal on my phone. I need to find my friends, find internet service, edit and upload the videos ASAP. Then I have to clean up and come back.”
“Come back?”
“Yes! This is just the beginning. You’ve done the damage. You dragged me here in the first place. You better not back out now. Just come with me.”
“Oh great! Now it’s my fault?”
“Ya, you and all your other ‘spirit friends’. How else do you think this crowd gathered
here?”
“Fine. Do as you please. You’ll regret it.”
“No, I won’t. And neither will you.” I wink, scramble up on my feet, brush the dust off my torn jeans and plug in the wired earphones.
Kuch kar guzarne ko, khoon chala, khoon chala…
October 4, 2005, The Ghost of My Youth Future
“Do you recognize me?”
I look up from my desk. I need to finish my homework so that I can go down to play with my friends.
“No. Who let you in?”
“No one needs to. I am you, but few years down the line.”
Brilliant. I have been making up games and playing alone for far too long to get upset or scared.
“Ok. So, when is J.K. Rowling releasing the final book?”
“Tsk! Child. You meet your future self and this is the question you choose to ask? Don’t you want to know what you will become when you grow up?”
“No, but since you mention it, I already know that I will become an author.”
“Ha! Right, we’ll see. Do you want to know who you will vote for when you become eligible?”
“No, that was your job. It’s not my time yet. I do not even know the candidates now. What is the point of knowing at this stage? Good for you that you’ve got it all figured out.”
“Figured out? No, I haven’t. That is why I need to tell you. So that you don’t make any mistakes.”
“Nah! Not fair. Not interested. But what else have you got? How many mistakes do I make in my final mathematics examination? Can you tell me the questions?”
“I don’t remember all these trivial details. It really does not matter. Alright fine, the final book of Harry Potter will be released in 2007 and you will get it on the first day. I will tell you this though… do not read the books ‘The Diary of a Young Girl’, ‘1984’, ‘A Thousand Splendid Suns’, ‘I Am Malala’…”
“Stop! Stop! What are you talking about? What books are these? I have already read Anne Frank’s Diary, but I don’t have the others.”
“Some are yet to be written…”
“I am not going to remember these names.”
“Oh, you will. Just don’t read them, okay? They will ban them eventually but just don’t read them before that.”
“Oooo! So you have read them?”
“Yes…but…”
“Then I can’t really change that, can I? And why shouldn’t I? Do I have to be a certain age before I am allowed to?” I giggle.
“I am trying to help you. Listen to me.”
“Sure. I won’t. Are you done?”
“You’ve already memorized the names, haven’t you? You will do exactly what you are told not to, won’t you?”
“Aah, but you already know that. After all, you are me. Bye!”
I turn around and leave. That went exactly as it should have. I smile and walk away from my old room. I hear my old CD player behind the closed door.
We don’t need no education. We don’t need no thought control.
MS
No comments:
Post a Comment