Saturday 20 June 2015

DADDY’S COMING HOME TODAY


Daddy’s coming home today
There’s so much excitement in the house
So many people in the house and outside
Uncles Aunts Brothers Sisters Friends and all
For days together there’s so much happening
Everyone’s just being so nice to me
But can’t see Mummy around
She must be preparing a special meal for him
Daddy’s coming home today

Daddy’s coming home today
Why are there so many men with guns
I rush to one of them and ask
Uncle why don’t you fire the gun
Uncle are these toy guns
Uncle my Daddy also has a big gun, a real one
Uncle when I grow up I want a gun too
I want to join the Indian Army
Saavdhaan…thump thump
Do you know Uncle?
Daddy’s coming home today

Daddy’s coming home today
Now I find everyone rushing to the front gate
Daddy must have come home now
Hello there, that’s my Daddy
I want to be the first to see Daddy
But why are you all crying
You are all so funny
Crying in happiness? 
Daddy’s come home today

Daddy’s coming home today
What are these men carrying on their shoulders
Looks like a box, a casket
Wrapped in a cloth of green saffron and white
Flowers and garlands all over
What is this you’ve got
Why are you playing the band
I’m in no mood to dance today
Till I find my Daddy
Why this, Where’s my Daddy?
Daddy was to have come home today

Daddy’s come home today
Mummy is crying
Family is crying
Friends are crying
For someone just told me
Daddy’s in the box lying there
What is he doing inside
Is it a surprise he’s giving me
Is he playing games with me
Daddy you are home today

Daddy’s come home today
They said your Daddy lies within
He will not come out
Not today, not tomorrow
His bullet ridden body
Lies inside all cuddled up
He got 21 bullets on his chest
Far away in the forests of Manipur
A thousand miles away from home
Daddy’s come home today

Daddy’s at home today
The guns are raised
21 guns boom aloud
One for every bullet he faced
Now they are putting him atop
A wooded platform
I walked around with a broken jar
A wooden stick they handed me
A lighted stick was lowered to the wood
A huge fire erupted clouding my Daddy
It’s Daddy’s last day at home today

Daddy will never come home again
A picture on the wall
A garland hung around the frame
An incense stick burning
Daddy’s medals kept with care
Uniform ironed, wrapped, locked away
Mummy in white
Me in school uniform
Studying hard to join the Indian Army
One day I will meet Daddy
Daddy I’ve come home today
Make him feel proud
Daddy’s home with me
Today & Everyday.


SS

24 comments:

  1. I always luv reading this blog, this one really touched my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always luv reading this blog, this one really touched my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I saw tears in my father's eyes was a day before I was to marry, till then he was my rock, the strongest man I had ever known and then I realized that the strongest man can become weak for his daughter. I still run to him for all my needs, and he still tries his best to fulfill them. A touching poem indeed, salute to all the fathers, who can never be replaced. I still believe My daddy strongest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bereft of words...44 kids and families could have sung this song. The nation could have marched along
    Called him courageous, called him great .
    But he will never come home again

    Too profound Shibu. I am choked
    There's same there's rage.. The kind I have never known before
    They knew there was daane and had dared death... But it was too late to fight.. Too late

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Powerful and poignant.

    This is the true story of most army families. After all the heart break they come back to serve the nation.

    JaiHind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very powerfully portrayed.
    Once again reminds us that, we homo sapiens, considered as the most evolved of the living beings continue to indulge in the most pathetic deed of all - killing each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The love for the Army of the army families keep increasing with patriotism inspite of losses. The last paragraph of the portrayal is so powerful "Daddy I have come home today" shows that the zeal to patronise the career in the Army is a dream for many. It's something like "doctors son is a Doctor" .

    Despite knowing that the life in the Army is not guaranteed, the mother keeps preparing the next generation by talking about the patriotic pursuit which may keep them alive or not. Hats off to such families that we are sleeping in our bungalows.
    A Pont to Ponder
    Why shouldn't an Army stint for youth between 18-23 be made compulsory?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heart touching!! Salute to the brave souls and their family

    ReplyDelete
  10. True and very emotional. A big salute to all indian army and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just a thought of families of such brave men sinks your heart .

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very touching piece on the Indian army and there family.their himmat make them write the human emotions on a different plane. My respects and admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very Touching . People who really need to be recognised , who put their life and take care of nation should be first recognised . It should be that Armed Forces should get reservation every where .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone's sentiment, we'll expressed. Sadly, the sacrifices are forgotten with time. Thanks for preserving the memories, the inspiring stories of Valor and bravery of the Martyrs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think after 'home they brought her warrior dead' , this is the most poignant verse I have read. I have a lump in my throat and years cloud my eyes. This is so so so very sad. Need I say more Shibu? You touched the chord. And oh, if only those who cause such mayhem could feel this pain too? And abjure three path of violence. Every soldier had a family that waits for Daddy to come home and may that dream come true in two feet with a rucksack swinging jauntily. May it please be that way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very touching and the emotions beautifully captured

    ReplyDelete
  17. Completely touched by each words of the Kid. Sir, just thinking how depth you must have thought to pen down this heart touching poem...we are proud of our jawans...Jai Hind, Jai Jawan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Read this with a lump in my throat.... Here the child's description... but I've gone through the experience n seen brave hearts n my buddies/comrades going home wrapped in tricolour...

    ReplyDelete