Saturday 25 July 2015

Ammi



 Hello, I’m Mehrunisa
It’s been 24 years since
Another man in white clothes
Father Menezes  took me home
St. Catherine’s Home
From the roadside existence
To a shelter, school to read
Food to eat, a bed to sleep
Father lovingly called me La Nina
Literally ‘The Child’
Poetically ‘The Cool One’
As against the blistering hot El Nino
Father was truly a father to me
In a cloak of white, my saviour
Not all men in white are bad
Colour of clothes
Do not tell the complete story
It is what is inside
That truly matters.

Today I’ve grown
I’ve a job that pays
And a home to stay as well
So for me now only one thing matters
Bringing Ammi home
For 23 years she’s lived without me
She’s lived with bit of a morsel a day
Standing at crossroads
A bowl in hand
With no place to live
And no place to return at day end
For her, time stood still
The same crossing all these years
People there had grown
Kids who sat at back seats
Now have steering wheels in hand
Those with small cars
Have moved on to larger fanciful ones
They all have seen Ammi
Grow old and frail
Standing the same way
Just bent down a little now
Some saw her with generosity
Some with apathy and disdain
But today is the day
When I am bringing her home
Home to her daughter
She’s coming to Her Home today.

Ammi just won’t stop crying
She just can’t believe her fortune
Her little one’
Her Mehrunisa’s grown up now
Has a house with a name plate
Her dream had come true
That her little one will never stand
At crossroads, at mercy of others
She kissed the doorstep to my house
Jokingly even rang the bell
Laughed aloud
As she even knocked the door
And as she took her first step in
Stood still for long
Just the eyes roving
Admiring in awe
Allah Meherbaan
God is Merciful.

Ammi needed a bath
So I took her in myself
Scrubbed her feet
Over and over again
Years of dirt
Fool that I was trying
To wash them in one go
Held her arms
Palms that had gone so hard
Pressed them against my cheeks
Felt the warmth of a mother’s love
Come through her touch
Washed her hair
Over and over again
She laughed
Seeing the shower above
With water pouring in droplets
It reminded her of rains on the streets
When Lord God himself rained
Poured down on her uncovered body
Maybe I couldn’t see her tears
Getting washed away under the shower
Dried her with one towel, then another
Draped her in a new sari
Oh how beautiful she looked today
She was tall dark & beautiful
For years this beauty had been held back
World was oblivious
But today she is mine
Mine to see and care for
And tomorrow will be ours.

Ammi wouldn’t say it
But she was hungry
So I made some rice quickly
Put it on a plate
Added some gravy to it
She again started crying
Much more than mere sobs
She had never had such a meal before
A half eaten bread
A spoilt fruit
Some crumbs from trash
Is all she had had till then
With shaking fingers
She stretched her hands ahead
To hold the plate
I held it back
Then took the rice in my hand
Fed her myself
Ammi just gulped it down
With water after every take of food
Today she was my Baby
And me her Ammi.


My talkative Ammi
Went silent that day
Unable to speak or
Won’t speak at all
Tired she looked
So walked her to my bed
Made her sit
Asked her to lie down
She did, put her head down
The softness of the pillow hurt
She shook it off
After a while
She mimed with her hands
Expressed a wish
She wished to sleep on the floor
With the light on
Same way as she would
Under the street lights
All I could offer her
A clean spread below and no more
It made her happy
She needed me, I felt
She’ll come around soon
Adjust adapt to the new life
With her little one.

I couldn’t sleep that night
When the sunlight came through
Quickly got up
Made some nice tea
Took some Marie biscuits
It was time to wake her up
Ammi Utho
Ammi Utho
She wouldn’t move
How deeply in slumber she was
Years of solitude
Years of pain
One good night’s sleep
In a house of her own seemed endless
Ammi Utho
Ammi Utho
She just won’t wake up
Turned her
Touched her
Felt her pulse
Understood the greatest truth of life
Ammi will not wake up
Meri  Ammi no more.

Called for a hearse
A long black one
Put her on it
Sat with the driver
Took the car through
The same crossroad
Where Ammi stood for years
Suddenly felt the traffic stop
Stop for Ammi to pass by
Those who never stopped before
Stopped today
Ammi’s first ride
Ammi’s last ride
Ammi’s ride to Heavenly Gates
Her dream fulfilled
Of a ride in a big car
Then the traffic moved on
My life moved on
No stone for Ammi
At the crossroads
Why should it be anyway
Who was she?
Just my Ammi and no more
Now I always keep my car windows down
Showing

Little Mercy at Big Crossroads.

SS

3 comments:

  1. This blog brings out the intend of those who work to help the Nanhi's & the Nanha's .. Tribute to all those responsible Men & Women.
    Ammi now sleeps in peace knowing her child will live with grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. A parent lives all their life wishing for a better life for their child which they themselves could not have. What better, than to die seeing this wish being fulfilled in. God bless all those who silently but persistently work towards making lives of the innumerable misfortunes worth living. If only these thousand helping hands multilpy by a dozen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. May be I start dropping coins now for mehrunisha

    ReplyDelete