Saturday 18 July 2015

Mercy at Crossroads

Standing at the crossroads
Not of life that’s a long straight road
But here I am at a traffic signal
Everyday from dawn to dusk and more
A bowl in hand
A baby wrapped around
Walking on foot so bare
Window to window
Knocking the panes
Hoping some kind soul will open
Open the window
Open his good soul
And drop a coin or two
God Bless.

When I see the young girls
Sitting on back seats
Beautifully dressed
Cream here, powder there
I too wish I could be like them
Even if it is for just a day
When I drop my rags
For a fine silken saree
A bindi on my forehead
Bedecked with jewels
From head to toe
Smiling and shining
I know my God
When he asks me for a wish
Some day, He will
And put me in a big car
Even if it were my last ride
To His Heavenly Home.

Funny isn’t it
When everyone on road
Wants to see the light Green
I long for Red
Longer the Red
Longer I get to try
Better the chance
For something to drop by
How much that drop means
Not to me but to another life
Hanging by a thin cloth
Hung around my  back
Sometimes clung to my breast
What is a drop for you
Is a drop of milk for her
What is some change for you
Is lifeline to her.

Does she deserve to live
I often ask
Why shouldn’t I end it all
For me and for her
A little pain
Even if it is big pain
It will only be
For just a while
Save us this misery
Of everyday
Standing in sunlight
No cap on head
No shades for eyes
Just you and me Darling
When you open your eyes
When you smile
Your twinkle and joy
Keeps me alive and going
Window to window
Day after day
I call her Mehrunisa
Or My Sun
My Sun that shines
Even when morning Sun sets
She wakes up at night
Gives me the light of life.

I saw him the other day
Mehrunisa’s father
Behind the wheel
Of his big white car
With his wife affront
Daughters at the back seat
How badly I was thrown out
Kicked and abused
On to the street I went
With no one to stand by me
With no one to trust me anymore
Here I am
In tattered clothes
And a bowl in hand
And there he is
In his spotless white clothes
Starched and ironed
The moment he saw me
Screeched stop for a moment
Then sped away
Even with the light in red
They say cowards run
They say Allah punishes the evil
They say evil never pays
Waiting for Heavenly justice
Waiting not for punishment of evil
But Him caring for us.

And surely you will not ask me
Why with moving hands and feet
I don’t work
Oh those men in whites…
No one loves a life like this
No one wants a life as this
Not for your children
We too have desires
We too have dreams
We too wish to change
We too wish to live
So next time you see me
Show a little mercy
Show a little care
I want to live
She wants to live…
No you will never see Mehrunisa there
For I will never let that day come
She will shine
Shine bright and loud as the Sun
She must go
To school, then to work
Then one day she’ll take me home
Her Home, Our Home

A little kindness please do show
At crossings, at red lights
Don’t look down on us
Don’t trample us down
Show a little mercy
Show a little care
We too want to live a life
Of a simple meal a day
Of some food, some clothing.
Allah is Kind
Stay Blessed


SS

5 comments:

  1. Heart Rendering Sibesh and Family. My car does not have an AC and so I need not open the window. But God ! help me to turn right everytime i see a "Mehrunissa". Thanks for portraying the pain. It could be the same with every person even selling dolls(Who knows that person might have been a great businessman).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kuchh paisa main bhi doonga mehrunisha ko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very moving , you have expressed her thoughts , pain & emotions and articulated it brilliantly.

    Unfortunately the reality is quite different for these hapless victims of organised crime rackets. These children are abducted and forced into this profession by their guardians , who exploit our sentiments to earn a tidy sum every day - most of these kids earn more than average wage of an unskilled worker.

    Numerous efforts by NGO's to reach out to these children did not succeed due to nexus between police, goons and politicians. This menace exist in all major cities in India and most of the big cities across the world. It is unbelievable fact that guardians of these children bid for spots at busy junctions , such bidding are organised by crime syndicates operating in the locality. This menace is captured brilliantly by Danish Novelist - Jussi Adler Olsen in his latest book "Buried" where the protagonist is a teenager who is part of such racket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very moving! Always feel bad about this reality and the fact that whatever I can do seems like nothing in front of the enormity of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Touching description of a 'dark' reality . However its more than what meets the eye .how big a coincidence that probably millions such across the nation are going unnoticed from the admin, Govt , police , very those who cross these roads daily.Hard to imagine that police and such underprivileged are seen at same signal performing their daily 'duties' .never offer money /freebies, it will only help proliferate .Agree with Taposh too

    ReplyDelete