Saturday 19 March 2016

AS I STAND AND WAIT

As I wait for the phone to ring
As I wait for the SMS alert
As I wait for the WhatsApp beep
As I wait for the doorbell to ring
Just a “Hi”
Perhaps a “Hello”
Or maybe “I am fine”
Or even a “Reached”
Aches increase
The loneliness stings
All the dreads come back.

Night falls
Television sets are switched off
Peace regains
A few more pages to finish
Before I turn in for the night
Do students read ‘Doctor Zhivago’ anymore?
I wonder
Careless thoughts
Fears multiply
The nightmares return.

It’s 2 a.m.
And she is still at work
Has she eaten?
She must be tired
Let me go to sleep
Will someone help me sleep?
It’s 3 in the morning
Will the wait end?

It’s a new day
With tea and newspaper
Same old news
Same old stories
Same old cartoons
Same old routine
Another day of waiting
Endless
Relentless.

The Facebook throws up
Friends in thousands
Same old faces in new profiles
A few updates
Hypocrisy abounds
Heartaches and heartthrobs
Hearts bleed too
For Rohiths and Kanhaiyas
The bashing continues
For Modi and Trump.

For two weeks
Read the columns
Heard the discourses
A new God is in sight
A beacon of hope
Harbinger of Azaadi
They say he has found a new definition
The intolerant talk of tolerance
The tolerant turn to intolerance
So let us wait for the deliverance.

Age shows its ugly side
Have to live with it
The body weakens
Memory fails
Trapped inside a Beautiful Mind
They have to await
Their turn
And so must we.

A walk on concrete
As buildings collide
Roller skates whizzing by
The breeze stops
Waiting
Wondering
To blow or not to blow
Beads of sweat appear
For company I find
Endless shapes
Broken bodies
Twisted legs
Unsteady steps
Foggy minds
Words without voices
Greetings exchanged
I walk on.

The baby
Has left his pram
Walks now and
Prattles on
As the dog rises to greet him
Hope returns
As I walk back home.


DS

2 comments:

  1. At some point of time in life we feel like enacting the absurd ordeal of Sysiphus ! Let there be hope - your piece concludes brilliantly "The baby Has left .... Hope returns As I walk back home."

    ReplyDelete