Sunday 5 September 2021

Love in Times of War

They are coming. I can hear the sound of the guns not far from here.

I am coming, dear. I am on my way. Don’t you worry.

Will you make it before they arrive?

Yes. I am speeding down in my Hummer and should reach you before dawn.

Do you have the papers? I am worried, for tomorrow at noon the last flight departs.

I have all clearances and papers with me. The ambassador has said he will wait till I arrive with you before flying out. Why do you worry so much?

You know what they will do to those who worked with the Americans. They call us traitors and for women they will show no mercy. In fact, they will be even more vindictive. 

Don’t worry so much. I will whisk you away before their dirty shadows fall on you.

Shahbaaz called today. He said he is coming with the Talibs.

Who is Shahbaaz?

He is the younger brother of my late husband, Masood. When Masood became bedridden, after stepping on a landmine, Shahbaaz used to help me a lot. He took good care of my son, Roshan. Soon I realized that Shabaaz was getting too close to me. One day he proposed to marry me but I refused. He was upset and angry with me. Then, one evening, finding no one at home, he pinned me down but fortunately my father-in-law returned home early and saw what Shahbaaz was up to. He broke open the door and thrashed his son and asked him the leave the house the very same day. Shahbaaz left but he would often make threatening calls to me. My father-in-law was a good man and he let me go to the nursing school and continue to work in the government hospital where I met you. Now, with Masood and his father no more around, Roshan and I are alone at home. Yesterday Shahbaaz said that, now, I have no one to protect and he will humiliate me in public and then give me away as a slave to the others. Jake, I am shivering. If he reaches before you, I will be gone for good and Roshan will be orphaned.

Rubina, my love, I am coming as fast as I can. I have loved you since the day I first met you lying in the hospital bed with a bullet in my neck. How you nursed me and saved me from death! Next when Shahbaaz calls, tell him Sarge Jake will protect Roshan and me and he will kick your ass so hard that you will fly away from Kandahar to Kabul and then over the mountains into the valley from where you will crawl on your limbs for the rest of your life asking for mercy from your Allah.

Jake, the gun shots are now very close.

I am also round the corner. Have you packed your bags?

Yes, I have packed a few essentials into one small bag and Roshan says he will only carry his football. He plays the ball well and wants to become a professional player in America. You remember the Afghan football player who fell off the aircraft trying to escape by holding on to the wing, Roshan was a big fan of his.

Ha ha…I like the kid as much as I love his mother. 

Jake, someone is knocking on the door. They are here. Shahbaaz is calling me continuously. I am sure he is leading the hordes to our home. This is where our story ends.

Rubina, just take Roshan with you from the back door and you will find my vehicle there. There is no time to waste….run, Rubina , run!

Rubina threw the mobile down, caught Roshan by the arm and started dragging him towards the back door just as the front door was blown away in the gun fire from the ravaging intruders. The boy, in the madness, did not forget to hold the football tight close to his body. He had won the ball as a prize for being the top scorer in his inter-school championships.

It was still dark but Rubina saw the Hummer with the lights on. She rushed towards it as Jake kept his gun aimed at anyone who tried harming his love and her kid. No sooner had Rubina and Roshan jumped into the back seat than a hundred Talibs emerged and surrounded the car in a semi-circle.

Jake fired his automatic gun…ratta tatta taaat…. But the firing from the other side was like a a hundred guns booming together. 

Jake knew there was no escape now….they were too many. His best bet lay in driving the bullet proof Hummer fast. Just as he was about to press the ignition key, the side door opened and a gun trotting Afghan sat down beside him.

Rubina shieked…Shahbaaz…have mercy on us. Let us go.

Shahbaaz looked at Rubina…pointed his gun at Jake and spoke in his native language….give me  your helmet and your gun and take my turban and gun. Just walk out of the car on the left side. My bike is parked behind that trees. There is enough fuel to take you till Kabul Airport. 

Jake asked….what about you?

I always wanted to dress up like the American soldiers with their smart helmets and guns. Today, I will become GI Joe. You take care of Rubina and Roshan. I loved her but I know she loves you more. Hope, after today, my Abbajaan and Allah will show mercy to me.

Go..go…go now!

Jake started the bike with Rubina behind and Roshan in between and roared away. Rubina turned her head to see the Hummer blow up in smoke as the missile landed on it. The victors fired their guns in the air to celebrate their victory of eliminating an American soldier and a fallen Afghan woman. 

In sometime, the bike reached the airport tarmac. The ambassador stepped out of his car and showed the trio the stairway to climb up before walking into the aircraft himself. As the plane took off, Roshan found the empty air force plane a good playground to knock the ball around. Rubina looked out of the window, her eyes moistened with the thought of leaving her country and people for ever and said a silent prayer for Shahbaaz…. May he find jannat.

SS


 

13 comments:

  1. Reason for hridya parivartan of Sahbaaj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very well written -could visualise the story.
    Yes Shahbaaz’s act is bit inexplicable esp GI Joe fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally Shahabaz was Jaabaz...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great as usual. Your own Kabuliwala story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. even if an iota of such fiction becomes a reality , there will lot of hope and peace . Wish your piece becomes a Prophecy .

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Context with the tragic times Afghanistan is going through. Nicely depicted the trauma of leaving your home country for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a good story and a plot. Can be made into a feature film.
    Wish this was a reality. Few Shahbaazs amidst the killer Taliban make all the difference. However not all Rubinas (who worked for the Americans) are lucky.
    Can draw few similarities with a very old Hollywood hit- Casablanca.
    In the midst of a life and death situation out there, my concern is for the Sikhs as well, who decided to stay put in Afghanistan, protecting the Gurudwara, even at the cost of their lives. As Afghanistan turns into Talibanistan (they have changed the flag, the law, the culture), hope the Taliban see sense in not harming the Sikhs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice story.. like a movie.. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need good stories to keep hope alive. But reality is so harsh that only poetic and literary license will wipe out those scars. For every Rubina... There will be hundreds who neither know Jakes more have a shabaaz to let them off. Silver lining on a bike of despair... You are a romantic Shibu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fairy tale stories to cheer up our disturbed souls. Very trying times! We all need a fairy godmother like Cinderella!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish reality is as ‘good’ as this....captured those scary moments so well

    ReplyDelete