Wednesday 23 March 2022

You and I

"All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling." Oscar Wilde

Why did you leave?

That was not how it was supposed to be

That was not what I had in mind

We were to stick together, you and me.

 

I never wanted to move towns

Leave friends, change schools

But then I met you, that changed

We played it smart, a pair of fools.

 

You were the good, the best

The class rep, every teacher’s pet

“Oh, the nerds will clash and claw”

They said, so sure, they put their bet.

 

We loved to surprise them, have a good laugh

For I don’t ever remember a fight with you

We strode through the days, hand in hand

Small steps through time, that just flew.

 

You knew I would fall for him

I held you when he did not call

We were enough to get by

Then what made you leave it all?

 

The only time I ran away

I found my way to your door

You knew my dreams, you read my mind

Why then my heart you left so sore?

 

I knew you were happy, I could not say

How much it hurt, that this was not right

We said we will call every week

I let you go, as I hugged you tight.

 

We never made promises, that is for the world

We did not talk much, life rambled on 

We both knew that would happen

But what we had, was it really gone?

 

But on days when tears would not stop

And people, thoughts and nights were dark

And on others when happiness knew no bound

The fingers on the phone found their mark.

 

We made new friends, we fell in love

I asked you first before I said yes

And through every triumph, and many mistakes

Without you I would be a mess.

 

When I met you today, many things have changed

The work, the place, the tales are all new

But you my girl, are still the same

And the love we have is that old one and true.

 

I was angry, sad, lonely, confused

My only mate, in a stormy crew

The waves of memories crash on my deck

I know now, you never really left me, did you?

 

If distance for us is what the future holds

I will embrace it and hold it close

For miles are a measure, we learnt it not

You and I, our life goes and grows. 


MS


While personal, and you do not know her, but I choose to share because I am sure everyone has  that one special friend. 




12 comments:

  1. This is the song
    That every soul wants to sing.
    Yes those who meander through life's
    lazy river
    With a smile on the face
    And in the heart;that constant ache .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel all regrets are ones where we feel we missed being our best . Our moments of happiness are ones when we forget the who we are {EGO} and just become part and that's usually old friends soul mates company .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Don't know many medicos who relate to Oscar Wilde

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow heart touching, thanks for sharing this with us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. Beautifully written conveys the emotions.
    While it is in a different context, I remembered an old time favourite song "Living next door to Alice"

    I have mentioned this to Sibesh Dada, you should seriously consider getting this collection of your short stories published.

    ReplyDelete